Do I really have to take a class?
- The short answer is yes.
- Because research has shown that divorce can cause so many problems for children, many judges in Oklahoma have been ordering couples to a co-parenting workshop for years.
- Now that research has shown the positive benefits of these classes, the Oklahoma State Legislature passed a law requiring all parents of a minor child that are divorcing for reasons of incompatibility to attend a co-parenting workshop before their divorce will be granted.
- If you are in an domestic violence shelter or involved in a relationship in which there is ongoing domestic violence, your judge may exempt you from the class. You should talk with your lawyer.
- You can request to not take the class with the person you are divorcing regardless of whether you have a restraining order. Please indicate the name of the person on your registration form.
- Access a copy of the law here.